Find all the details you need to know regarding the competition.
This video was taken from a live recording of our intro workshop into what the UBC 3MT is, how to apply, and tips coming directly from our executive!
This is your opportunity.
This event challenges you to do something you may do already – explain your thesis to people who have no background in what you do. But now, you can get feedback from professors and the chance to compete in the live competition on February 27, 2021. If you make it there, you get the chance to win cash prizes!
The Application Process
If you’re a student conducting your directed studies or honours thesis and are interested in applying to this event, please read below! In the 2020/21 competition, the application deadline is 11:59 PM, January 18th, 2021.
STEP 1: Check Your Eligibility
If you answer yes to all of these questions, then you are eligible and can proceed to Step 2!
- I am in a directed studies/honours/capstone research-based course which will be the work I present on my 3MT (exception for Sauder students OR students who do not have a directed studies/honours course for their degree but are conducting research – please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this is the case.), OR I am conducting research as a volunteer, OR I am conducting research as a Worklearn/Co-Op student.
- I am enrolled as an undergraduate, UBC Vancouver student (part time or full time) in the 2020-2021 cycle during which I am doing my directed studies/honours work.
- I have consent from the Principle Investigator/supervisor of the project to present the work.
STEP 2: Complete the Application
Before you begin the application:
- Ensure you are eligible
- Get your professor/supervisor to sign the consent form – this is MANDATORY
- Create a SINGLE, static (no animations) PowerPoint slide with your 3 minute audio oration for your 3MT.
- NOTE:, this is for a general audience, i.e. someone with a high school degree.
- The audio can be recorded directly on PowerPoint or uploaded from another device such as your computer/phone. Please check our “Recording Guide” for more info.
- Follow this naming convention for your powerpoint: Coursecode_Firstname_Lastname_PresentationTitle
E.g. THTR449_Sam_Doe_The effect of technology on 21st century staging
- Send in your Qualtrics form! Your form can be revised up to 1 week after it is submitted.
If you have any questions or concerns about your application, email us at email@example.com