This page contains all of the details applicants and interested undergraduate students need to know regarding the competition.
2019/2020 Competition Details
The below page features instructions for the 2019/2020 Undergraduate 3 Minute Thesis competition. The final details and guidelines for the 2020/2021 event haven’t been announced yet, follow us on social media to stay in the loop!
SAMPLE 3 MINUTE THESIS
This is your opportunity.
This event challenges you to do something you may do already – explain your thesis to people who have no background in what you do. But now, you can get feedback from professors and the chance to compete in the live competition on February 15, 2020. If you make it there, you get the chance to win cash prizes!
The Application Process
If you’re a student conducting your directed studies or honours thesis and are interested in applying to this event, please read below! In the 2019/20 competition, the application deadline was 11:59 PM, November 8, 2019.
STEP 1: Check Your Eligibility
- I am in a directed studies/honours/capstone research-based course which will be the work I present on my 3MT (exception for Sauder students OR students who do not have a directed studies/honours course for their degree but are conducting research – please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this is the case.)
- I am enrolled as an undergraduate, UBC Vancouver student (part time or full time) in the 2019-2020 cycle during which I am doing my directed studies/honours work.
- The work I am presenting is NOT a part of a work learn or co-op position that I am in/was in.
- The work I am presenting is NOT a part of an independent paid or unpaid research assistant position.
- I have consent from the Principle Investigator/supervisor of the project to present the work.
STEP 2: Complete the Student Application Package
Download the Student application package HERE.
Inside the Student Application Package you will find:
✓ The eligibility checklist.
✓ Release of information consent form your Principle Investigator/Supervisor MUST sign.
✓ Details on what you need in your 3MT video upload.
✓ A final checklist of what you need to include in your application.
STEP 3: Submit your application
Your submission should be sent to us via email to email@example.com. Make sure your email includes the following:
- The student application package document, fully completed.
- The PI/Supervisor SIGNED consent form. This can be either an independent document, OR included in the student application package document.
- A link to your 3MT video on YouTube. (Your video can be public or unlisted, but not private)
The subject line of your email should be:
Example subject line: THTR449_Sam_Doe_The effect of technology on 21st century staging