Find all the details you need to know regarding the competition.
This video was taken from a live recording of our intro workshop into what the UBC 3MT is, how to apply, and tips coming directly from our executive!
This is your opportunity.
This event challenges you to do something you may do already – explain your thesis to people who have no background in what you do. But now, you can get feedback from professors and the chance to compete in the live competition on March 5th, 2022. If you make it there, you get the chance to win cash prizes!
The Application Process
If you’re a student conducting your directed studies or honours thesis and are interested in applying to this event, please read below! In the 2021/22 competition, the application deadline is 11:59 PM, January 15th, 2022.
STEP 1: Check Your Eligibility
If you answer yes to all of these questions, then you are eligible and can proceed to Step 2!
- I am enrolled as an undergraduate, UBC Vancouver student (part time or full time) in the 2021-2022 cycle.
- I am not currently enrolled as a student in a professional program (e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy).
- The work I am presenting is either a) part of a course I am currently enrolled in, b) part of an independent paid or unpaid research position, or c) part of a Co-op or Worklearn placement I am currently in.
- My supervisor is affiliated with UBC, OR my research was done as part of a UBC course.
- I have consent from the Principle Investigator/supervisor of the project to present the work. (Consent form on page 3 is signed and completed)
STEP 2: Complete the Application
Before you begin the application:
- Ensure you are eligible
- Get your professor/supervisor to sign the consent form – this is MANDATORY
- Upload a video of your 3 minute thesis for adjudication. Instructions on correctly uploading the video are as follows:
- The video must be either a public or unlisted YouTube video. Please ensure it is NOT private, as we will be unable to access it.
- The video should only have a background of a SINGLE PowerPoint slide with relevant information on your project (do NOT record yourself as the visual).
- Transitioning to a different/new slide is NOT allowed; however, you are allowed to use animations so long as your slide components do not overlay each other.
- The audio should be you giving your 3 minute thesis.
- The total length of the video should not exceed 3 minutes. There is no minimum time requirement.
- Introducing your name in the audio is NOT necessary; it is completely optional.
- Please format the title of your video as follows: 3MTtitle (Example title: The effect of technology on 21st century staging)
- Send in your Qualtrics form! Your form can be revised up to 1 week after it is submitted.
If you have any questions or concerns about your application, email us at email@example.com